ENGLISH FOR JOURNALISM – US Embassy
|CREDENTIAL:||Badge(s); Certificate (free)|
This course is designed for non-native English speakers interested in developing the skills needed for a career in modern journalism. In this course, you will explore print and digital media while expanding your vocabulary and increasing your ability to research and develop local and global news stories. Module One will provide an introduction to the history and principles of journalism. In Module Two, you will learn how to research, pitch, and interview. Module Three will focus on the language for writing newspaper and magazine articles. Module Four will cover the basics of broadcasting the news. Module Five will focus on the growth, impact, and challenges of the digital media age. This is a self-paced course, which will be open for 12 weeks. Participants can complete coursework at any time during these 12 weeks. The course has 5 modules; each module will require approximately 3-5 hours of work.
At the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding of the history and principles of journalism.
- Identify strategies to research, pitch, and interview for a news story.
- Identify elements of print journalism and effectively proofread following a style guide.
- Identify the unique features of broadcast journalism
- Analyze how digital technologies have changed journalism
Target Audience: English Language Learners, practicing journalists, students of journalism, lifelong learners interested in improving their English while learning more about journalism..
Course is offered by the American English E-Teacher Program, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State with funding provided by the U.S. government, and administered by FHI 360.
Senior Technical Officer / Instructor
Jessamyn Embry is a Senior Technical Officer for English Language Acquisition at FHI360. Over the past 15 years, she has taught and administered language programs in France, India, Mexico and the USA. She holds a BA in International Studies from American University’s School of International Service and an MA TESOL from the SIT Graduate Institute.
About Canvas Network
Canvas Network is an open space for educators to share, experiment, analyze, and create.
To promote OPENNESS, INNOVATION, and EXPERIMENTATION in education by providing educators access to professional development courses and programs that will help them thrive and succeed in their careers.
To Canvas Network ‘open’ means:
- Open entry and open access. Open entry for learners around the globe and continual access to course content after the course end date.
- Open content. Open licensing options and content sharing to Canvas Commons where other instructors reuse, revise, remix, retain, and redistribute content.
- Open platform and ecosystem. Open platform to integrate and innovate with third-party tools.
- Open data. Open, de-identified Canvas Network data for researchers to analyze and synthesize.
- Platform neutrality. Your course. Your goals. Your way. We provide the platform for open innovation and experimentation.
About US Embassy
What does the US Embassy Do?
The primary purpose of an embassy is to assist American citizens who travel to or live in the host country. U.S. Foreign Service Officers also interview citizens of the host country who wish to travel to the United States for business, education, or tourism purposes.
U.S. Embassy, LondonEmbassy in London, England
The Embassy of the United States of America in London is the diplomatic mission of the United States in the United Kingdom. It is the largest American embassy in Western Europe and the focal point for events relating to the United States held in the United Kingdom.
Embassy of the United States, BeijingOffice in Beijing, China
The Embassy of the United States in Beijing is the diplomatic mission of the United States in China. It serves as the administrative office of the United States Ambassador to China. The embassy complex is in Chaoyang District, Beijing.
Other English Courses Offered from US Embassy
How To Apply For Open Vacancies In The US Embassy Of Khartoum
See Other Open Vacancies from here