African union AfCFTA Innovation Challenge
An opportunity for African innovators to participate in the Africa Innovation Challenge 2020
About the AFCFTA:
The African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) is a free trade area which, as of 2018, includes 28 countries.
It was created by the African Continental Free Trade Agreement among 54 of the 55 African Union nations.
About the challenge:
The innovation challenge in Africa is a call for innovators to present their applications and innovations designed to address social issues, especially those that have the ability to provide unique and creative solutions to Africa during the period of the Corona pandemic, which caused the impact on a number of African societies in different ways, as some of its citizens face a number of challenges ,and difficulties, and therefore technology may play an effective role in facing some of these challenges.
The African Union held a representative of its members on August 20, at the launching ceremony of the “Africa Innovation Challenge” organized by the African Internet Communications Union, which will be launched this year under the slogan “How Africa can overcome the impact of the Corona virus through innovation”, with the aim of identifying Creative innovations and new business models that have the potential to change Africa.
Who can participate?
- Born in 1985 and onwards.
- Citizens of an African member state of the African Telecommunication Union.
- Whoever has an application or innovation designed to solve social issues, taking into account that it has the ability to contribute to limiting the spread of the Coronavirus or facing any emergency conditions in Africa.
- Each participant can register only once, and with his own work.
- ATU staff or associate members cannot participate in the challenge.
- Approval of the non-profit use of the winners’ entries by the African Telecommunications Union for the purpose of advertising and communication
Candidates should be from:
Algeria-Angola-Benin-Botswana-Burkina Faso-Burundi Cameroon-Cape Verde-Central African Republic-Chad-Comoros-Congo Democratic-Republic of Congo Republic-Djibouti-Egypt-Equatorial Guinea-EritreaEthiopia-Gabon-Gambia-Ghana-Guinea-Guinea-BissauIvoryCoast-Kenya-Lesotho-Liberia-Libya-Madagascar-Malawi-Mali-Mauritania-Mauritius-Morocco-Mozambique-Namibia-Niger-Nigeria-Rwanda-Sao Tome and Principe-Senegal-Seychelles-Sierra Leone-Somalia-South AfricaSouth-Sudan-Sudan-Tanzania-Togo-Tunisia-Uganda-Zambia-Zimbabwe.
- Applicants must hold nationality of one of the 55 member states of the AU.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 15 – 35. We strongly encourage submissions from female applicants.
- Engaged or interested in building experience in policy/trade development.
The winner of the competition will receive $ 5,000, the first runner-up will receive $ 3,000, and the second runner-up will receive $ 1,000, and all participants who will succeed in moving to the second phase of the competition will receive $ 100.
To apply follow the link